Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: about 50 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 300g potato, peeled and chopped
- 750g peeled and chopped pumpkin or butternut squash
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 900ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 4 tablespoons double cream, optional
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
6 rashers streaky bacon, chopped
150g Cropwell Bishop Blue Stilton, crumbled
2 tablespoons freshly chopped chives
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the onion and cook over a medium heat, for 3-4 minutes, until softened, stirring occasionally. Stir in the potatoes and pumpkin or butternut squash, cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the spices, cook for 1 minute then pour over the stock. Cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes until the potatoes and squash are tender. Transfer to a food processor or liquidiser and blend in batches until smooth. Return to the pan, stir in the cream, if using, and reheat gently. Season to taste.
- Dry fry the bacon in a large frying pan until crispy, then drain on kitchen paper, then roughly chop. Serve the soup topped with the crispy bacon, with the crumbled Cropwell Bishop Stilton and garnished with a sprinkling of chives.